Deuteronomy 6:5-7

Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

Friday, February 29, 2008

Love This!

My sweet, dear friend Jo put this on her blog. I love it.

The Girl I Used to Be

She came tonight as I sat alone,
The girl I used to be.
And she gazed at me with her earnest eye
And questioned reproachfully:
Have you forgotten the many plans
And hopes I had for you?
The great career, the splendid fame,
All the wonderful things to do?
Where is the mansion of stately height
With all of its gardens rare?
The silken robes that I dreamed for you
And the jewels in your hair?

And as she spoke, I was very sad
For I wanted her pleased with me.
This slender girl from the shadowy past,
The girl I used to be.

So gently rising, I took her hand,
And guided her up the stair
Where peacefully sleeping, my babies lay
Innocent, sweet, and fair.
And I told her that these are my only gems,
And precious they are to me;
That silken robe is my motherhood
Of costly simplicity.
And my mansion of stately height is love,
And the only career I know,
Is serving each day in the sheltered walls
For the dear ones who come and go.

And as I spoke to my shadowy guest,
She smiled through her tears at me.
And I saw the woman that I am now
Pleased the girl that I used to be.


I KNOW that I am WAY behind on updating, as usual. We have had an insanely busy month. I am working really hard right now on reprioritizing my involvements and it feels so great.

The kiddos are excellent. Jack just started rolling back to tummy. He has been able to do tummy to back for a while. He ate greeny beanies for the first time today and loved them. Maddie climbed out of her crib this morning. They are getting SO big! I will post pictures soon.

1 comment:

Pam said...

That is a beautiful poem! And so true. Thank you for sharing it.